Sunday, November 17, 2013

Long Time No See

I haven't blogged in two months but have a ton of projects that came and went not to mention all the pictures I took of them.  I need to figure out a schedule so that it's not months in between blog posts.  Since opening up Messy Table Designs, I have been busy learning new things in classes, on videos and reading blogs.  There are so many ideas out there I feel a wee bit over whelmed.  I have done some  craft shows this fall and have applications to do more in the spring so rotating stock between seasons is always an ongoing process.

I have some pictures that I wanted to post of the work that I am currently doing.  I am not sure that any of these items will end up in my Etsy shop or at a show.  These first projects are the prototypes of better things to come; hopefully!  I started by watching one video in Spanish (Spain Spanish) and I made items similar to what I saw in the video and actually sold a couple of pieces in a show I did earlier this month.  That video lead me to another one and then I started watching more and more and finally decided to try a project.  So the pictures I am about to post are my first attempts at what I have been watching lately.  I love the idea but it needs to be refined (that's my way of saying, I need to get better at doing them.)  So here they are...


This is this weekend's effort.  It's an oval box made from three Oriental Trading Company catalogs that were duplicates.  I asked to be taken off the mailing list but they don't listen so I decided to use them first.  
Here is the box without the lid.
The inside of the bottom of the box.
The top knob.  
Another beauty shot of the top knob.
Once this thing completely dries, I will vanish it (an invaluable tip I got from a YouTube video).  I have been using a combination of Mod Podge and Diamond Glaze to try and harden my boxes.  This is will be the first one to get the varnish.  I can't wait to see how it will turn out.  I am debating if I should paint it like the next one you are about to see.
Round Box (The second box I have ever made with junk mail)
Really, this is junk mail and newspaper, really.




Here is the side view with the lid.  It looks like it's sloping but it's not.  It's just the paper.
The knob.  This one is small. I didn't see making the larger knob until after this one was already done.  It's still sturdy though.
Here is the inside view.
This box started out as the first one I showed; bright colored paper ads, but I painted it with some watered down paints and then dry brushed it with gold leaf from a tube that I had on hand.  It's been sealed with Mod Podge and that's the shine.
Here is my very first attempt at anything with junk mail besides throwing it into recycle bin.  It's rough but it was fun and I learned all kinds of things.
The view of the base and the wonky sides.
Better view of side and inside bottom.

So this is only one reason why I have not had time to blog.  These bowls take a lot of prep time and then drying time from both the gluing and the painting.  Anyway...that's is some of what I have been up to lately.  Now I have become obsessed with rolling paper tubes, looking at all the junk mail that crosses our threshold, and shapes for bowls and boxes.  I am just in love with this whole idea.  I may be late to the party, but I can still have a good time!

No comments: