Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Quickie Craft Idea

A Quickie Craft Idea

I have been cruising craft blogs for months now looking for inspiration and I found it. This seems to be a new trend and I for one, love it! It's such a simple idea that I can't believe I have not done this sooner. This is the simplest idea ever! Not much money either. So it's a hit with me!
How cool is this? In my search for great organization ideas I found this one on the net. First you find a glass jar or vase. Of course you have to purchase a spray can of chalk board paint and some masking tape of some kind. You mask off an area around where you want the spray to go. There might be over spray but that's quickly fixed by using a dry SOS pad and the little tiny droplets come off quickly. Then you spray the chalkboard paint on the open spot in small strokes. I let the paint dry for about two hours and then put on another coat. I think I may have done either three or four coats. Then I pulled all the tape off. I cleaned off the over spray areas. I think I read somewhere on the net that it's best to take your chalk and completely cover the painted area then wipe it off with a soft cloth of some sort. After that anything you write on the area should look great. I was tickled pink with the results. The above photo is of all three of my one gallon zip lock bags of 5 gm. sock skeins for my sock blanket. Now everything is in one place and I can see all the yarns I want to use!
I really dislike laundry detergent boxes. They are awkward and usually pretty ugly. So I bought a jar at Tuesday Morning and decided it was going to be my first project. It worked really well so then it was the sock jar above.

In my zeal to organize even more I found a vase that was collecting dust in one of my kitchen cabinets and I gave it the chalk board treatment. Mind you, this is still the same can I started with. So now I have all my straights in one place and that emptied out an container that I donated to another knitter. I can see all my needles which in the long run will save me money. I won't be going to out and buying more needles because now I can clearly see what I have.

I have clearly been smitten with this idea. I am going to use the chalk board paint on some other items so stay tuned. My youngest son has gotten his own apartment and I am hoping to make his old room my craft haven. So there will be more organizing coming down the pike. Check out this site and you will be blown away with new and fabulous ideas!

5 comments:

erinkristi said...

Love love love this idea! I even have some chalkboard paint, albeit paint-on, not spray. I get some of the best ideas from you. You curate them well and then you execute,too! I haven't followed the link yet but I know lobe further inspired. I want to figure out how to incorporate this chalkboard thing in my new kitchen. Heck, since we're remodeling it's a great time to try something new. I especially like the mini-skein jar. Call me a copycat.

Ria said...

I love your idea!! I sell chalkboard paint!!!

I just started gathering yarn and making hexiflats (I'm not stuffing them so can't call them puffs) for the beekeepers quilt!

dalequan said...

Love it!

Sharon said...

Those labels look great - I wish I weren't so lazy. My straight needles are in a half of a wine bottle. I took the bottle to a crafter who cut the top off, smoothed off the cut edge and applied resin the bottom half to preserve the label. The label is from a bottle of wine commemorating the 100th anniversary of the University of Nevada, Reno. It was the year I graduated and I stuffed a bottle of wine in my purse at the graduation luncheon. I love having that reminder as part of my daily life.

Paula said...

Wow, how cute are these ideas!! I love the idea about the laundry detergent too. I may have to get crafty too! :)