Monday, July 18, 2011

It's Not Mine
The most wonderful thing about knitting, crocheting and spinning is the people who do these things. They are some of the most generous people I have ever met. One person comes to mind the most; Juanita. I have been lucky enough to get all kinds of things from her over the last few years that I have known her via my knitting group Yarn for Breakfast. (This link will only work if you are a member of Ravelry)

Between Juanita and I, we must have swapped a whole sheep one ball of roving at a time. I have given her roving and then she picks up something wonderful and she passes it on to me. It doesn't stop with roving, but now it's finished crocheted items like a hat, a flower for that hat, and a dishcloth with the state of Texas knitted in it. I know Juanita is more a crocheter than a knitter so the dishcloth will be a treasured item.

She has even give me zucchini and squash that someone else gave her that she couldn't use.
I made a vegetable and sausage lasagna and a grilled vegetable and penne pasta salad.











The other day when we were knitting at The Coffee Shoppe, she gave me two nice sized balls of the most wonderful cotton yarn. She said it came from a spool that she got from Walmart. While I loved the cotton balls, I decided I could not add them to my stash. So since one good turn deserves another, I made something for Juanita. I am hoping she will be surprised and happy.

I don't crochet very often but it seemed appropriate I should crochet something for the crocheter. So I did. I made Juanita a market bag. The pattern came from a search on Ravelry for a free crocheted market bag.

The pattern is called Crocheted Market Bag. If you are not a member of Ravelry you can find the free pattern here. It's super easy and was an extremely easy crochet. I did it in less than two days. It wouldn't have taken me that long but I ripped it out a few times to be sure I understood the directions. Like I said, it's been a while!

Here is the bag laying flat so you have some idea of size. This is laying on my couch and it takes up one cushion size and a wee bit of the second cushion. I have not put anything heavy in it. I will leave that to Juanita to do when she gets the bag.
I wrote this post a while ago and since have handed back the lovely cotton balls that were gifted to me back to the giver. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did making it.

8 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! That is bee-yu-tiful!
Yep, you're right... one good turn definitely deserves another! *wink*

Ria said...

Looks great!

And you DID get the fun of creation...

vlb5757 said...

Thanks to you both. I had fun making it and am thinking about making me some more and leaving them in the car at all times for those shopping "emergencies". I sure there will be some in the future.

Anonymous said...

I really want to see a pic of that cloth with TEXAS in it!!!!
gk

Geraldine said...

Okay...I tried to post a comment and I don't see it. If this comes up twice that is why!

I really, really want to see a pic of the cloth with TX on it!!!
gk

dalequan said...

I love it. I have it hanging in my craft room where I can see it when I'm on the computer. I think I'm going to use to store balls of left over yarn that are always rolling around and getting in my way when I'm looking for something in my yarn baskets.

Cheryl in AZ said...

I was totally thinking that it would make a perfect bag for capturing stray balls of fiber.... Great Minds... are very scary some times. :P

Sharon said...

Perfect use!