Friday, November 19, 2010

It's a Guy Thing

It's a guy thing!

I have been knitting with a friend for over two years now and have gotten to know more about her and her family as I sit and knit with her. I have made several things for her over the years as gifts but have never done anything for her husband. John is a very nice man and it frankly never occurred to me to give him anything that was knitted. His wife knits so I just figure she would knit things for him.

Recently, well a wee bit ago, I made some felted bowls. Do you remember these? I gave them both away to different friends and I am happy to report, they both get used. During a conversation on a knit day John's wife commented to me that after they bought some new furniture and did some rearranging, there was a territorial felted bowl conflict. The felted bowl that she received for her birthday seemed to be collecting male "stuff" when it was moved to another table in the den. My friend said that John needed his own bowl. I know it was just a comment made in passing while lamenting over the guy "stuff" being in her bowl where her knitting "stuff" usually sat.

So the light bulb went off in my head and I began plotting. John would need HIS own felted bowl for his man "stuff". In the passing conversation about brown bowl, a favorite color was mentioned. Bingo! I had a secret project and I set off to get it done and done it is. As a matter of fact, it's been done for a very long time but our schedules have not been great lately and we have had little time knitting together so the gift has been sitting on my cluttered dining room table forever! As much as I love how the bowl turned out, I need to see the table for Thanksgiving dinner and the bowl has got to go!
So here is the bowl already knitted, felted and being dried. It is not a color I love so there was some purchasing done at the LYS.


It's a bit hairy but some of my friends said they wouldn't shave it because it adds to the charm. Seriously? Hairy has charm? Uhmm...okay...

Here is the finished unshaven, very charming hairy guy bowl. Since it has no design, I had to give it some character with some plastic apples I usually have on my dining room table. Nice contrast right? So I hope that my friend will be happy when I gift this " guy thing" to her husband. I am hoping it will add to the marital bowl bliss at their house.

6 comments:

Ria said...

Several of my guy friends are lucky that some women find "hairy" charming ;P


Great bowl!

Romelda said...

You are so unbelievably nice. John loves HIS BOWL! It sits next to the computer and had HIS things in it. Happy, happy, happy! Thank you!

vlb5757 said...

Ria, I know what you mean! I just thought it might be better after a shave; sort of like my hub.

Romelda-it was totally my pleasure and such a small gesture for such a nice man who brings me the perfect cup of coffee!

Paula said...

*LOL* Hairy guy bowl!! That is hilarious, Vickie!
I must say, you did a fantastic job on that... I never knew you could knit a bowl- I always learn something new every time I visit you.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dearie!

Sharon said...

It's a winner. I think you did a great job, and hairy is part of the man cave look.

vlb5757 said...

Paula-I would have loved to have shaved it but no one else thought I should. I guess the hairy look is okay with him becasue he has not complained yet. I learn new things every time I go to your site too. Farming is interesting to me but I still have a lot to learn!
Sharon-I still really want to give it a quickie shave with my Daisy razor! lol!