Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish...

One Fish, Two Fish...

I finished one Nemo hat and it's too large for a three year old. So I went down another needle size and have almost finished #2. I am working on the fins and then it's done. I will have to weave in all those annoying ends and do the eyes. I still don't have eyes for the first Nemo. I want them to match. So I will do the eyes at the same time.

I have enjoyed doing the Nemo hats and decided that a little boy would probably like fish so when I saw this
project on Ravelry I decided it would be my next gift for the nephew. It's going to take a few months but it's mindless knitting and again with the annoying ends but well worth it in the end to see what delight it will bring Christmas morning. There are so many versions of this project that I decided I needed to make my own.

So last night I had some time alone and did some tinkering with what kind of pattern I wanted to have. I haven't decided what to do yet. Guess I will need to make up my mind soon since I am just knitting away and have no idea how many fish I need from each color.

Here is how ideas are built... attempt#2


Attempt #3

And lastly #4

I was so pleased with myself for sitting down and thinking this through. I wanted to make the drawings to give myself some idea how many fish I would need to knit. I crawled in the bed with DH and was explaining my creations to him when all of a sudden I realized I got the colors wrong. I was going to use orange but then DH said that wasn't a primary color. Ugh! So I am going to have to recolor my graphs and start all over again. The one thing I learned from doing this is that I really don't have an eye for color and there are only three primary colors. Will that matter to a three year old? Here is what I am working with.


I have chosen red, blue, yellow and green for the fish. I have a feeling I will have to knit an ocean in order to have enough fish for those pictures above, but I have ten done already! Every ten that I knit, I stop and weave in the ends so I don't have to do them all at once and give up. I am not sure how to fasten these guys together but I am sure that if I ask someone who has already made one they will be able to tell me all the angles. This project is going to be worked on all summer and probably into the fall.

I am using Plymouth Encore because it's easy to wash and care for. I am sure my SIL will be happy about my choice. The needle size of choice are 7s.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh funny. I love Plymouth Encore for kids and I have a hard time finding it, except for mail order. It's the best.

Paula said...

How neat!! That is going to be so wonderful when you're finished!
I love the colors, too..

vlb5757 said...

I showed my knitting buddy today and we fiddled around with the fish and we just couldn't decide how to arrange the fish so I will work on just knitting them up little by little and see what takes shape. Thanks for stopping by!