Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Road Less Traveled
A Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

It's been eons since I have crocheted anything. The only reason I have done these is because one of my young co-workers is getting married next month. I volunteered to make her two garters for her wedding; one to keep and one to shoot to a crowd of young men. I found the pattern on Ravelry and it was pretty easy. I didn't count like the maker did and I managed to make it work for me.

I made two different garters and took them to work for her approval. She chose this one and I have since made two of then. I asked her to choose her own ribbon that will be in each garter. I have never sew anything like these before so we shall see how they turn out.

4/21/09-I have pretty much finished the base the both the garters and the co-worker has chosen her ribbon. Here are the finished products.

Here is a close-up of the garter with the ribbon that matches the wedding colors. Since green is my favorite color, I was thrilled how it looks and that there is a note able contrast with the white.




Here is a less larger view of the garter. After threading the ribbon through it I decided that I need to cover up where the ribbon and the elastic will come together, so I crocheted these. These were also found via Ravelry...


I love how these turned out. They are so cute and such a quick crochet. I did start one and rip it out because I realized when I was about 3/4 finished, that I didn't follow the directions and the flower was not going to lay down properly yet have dimension at the same time. So I scraped the first one and ended up with these two. Each one will cover up the ending point for the ribbon and elastic.

...and here are the finished products...




Here's to Kelly and Andy on their very happy day. I hope that you have years and years of a very happy marriage. Happy Wedding Day, Saturday, May 16th.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Congratulations on a spectacular gift to your co-worker. She must be a special friend. I haven't crocheted for years either, other than trim finish. I feel a yearning.

Susan Luni said...

Those are very pretty, and quite an involved project. You certainly put a lot into it, and it shows.

vlb5757 said...

Sharon-after I finished the two garters, I actually thought about crocheting something else. The feeling passed. I picked up the knitting again right away. I have a long list of knitting "wanna be" projects so I had get back to the knitting. I have been looking a crochet magazines though. It's so tempting...

Luni-I had a good time doing them. I thought I had forgotten how crochet until I told Kelly I would make these. I guess it is like riding a bike!

Sharon said...

I tagged you for a Meme in my May 17th post.

Anonymous said...

those are BEAUTIFUL! I love the contrast with the white and green. Great job, and the rose is a perfect touch!

vlb5757 said...

They were so easy to make and I got to crochet again after too many years of not. Knitting has become my main challenge so crocheting has taken a back seat for about 5 years now. I was surprised at how quickly it came back. I might have to start doing some crocheting again.