Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gifted Love
by Vickie

Last year in the fall I joined the Secret Santa Swap via Ravelry. I think there were 25 sets of us or some number close to that. I was so excited to stick my toe back in the swap water. I had a bad experience once and have avoided them all these years since.

I had such a good time packing up my things for my partner that I really didn't focus on what I was going to get. I was totally in the moment of collecting things. I had so much fun that I even talked DH into helping me snoop out the best items from my person's list.

I received two skeins of yarn and am happy to say that I have completed both projects that called out to me for each skein. Just this now I finished the second skein and am happy to say that I think I have found a new kind of yarn that I like that isn't all wool.

I am getting to be such a yarn snob so when I got this yarn I wasn't really sure how I was going to feel about knitting with it. If you scroll down to the bottom of the display you will see this colorway #1812. It's called Stewart Island. The band on the ball does not have the official name but I found it when I was searching for a link for this entry. It's nice to know there is a real name not just a number.

I used #1 dpns and cast on a total of 72 stitches. The cuff is just and 2X2 ribbing that is approx. 2 inches. They are my "go to" pattern of socks titled, Sue Von Ohlsen's Favorite Socks. This is the pattern I learned to knit socks with. They aren't fancy but they fit like a glove. Ask my MIL. She got two pairs for this past Christmas. I got a lovely note from her that said she really liked them and they fit well. We wear about the same size.
Here are my unmatched feet in the socks with the camera flash on and here is one without...
Either way, my feet aren't a matched pair, but then neither are the socks, but I really don't care. They fit snugly enough for my needs and I know they will wear well in the washer and dryer. My kind of yarn and socks! Thanks to yarnmama797. I am very pleased with how my socks turned out.


The next skein that was in the box spoke to me as fingerless mitts. I made them first and here they are

I have been wearing the mitts lately driving to and from work. Saturday when I drove through a local coffee place, the girl handing me my coffee commented how cool and cute my gloves were. She really liked them. A complement always makes a knitter's day!

The pattern is from Farmhouse Yarns and is called Wine Country One-Skein Winter Mitts II. I didn't use their yarn because I already had my Santa Swap yarn. They are warm and softer than I had thought they would be. This pattern is perfect for a beginner. I had never made a hole that large (on purpose-lol!) in my knitting before. You just have to not over analyze the directions and take the leap of faith that it's going to be okay. It does work. I did much better with the second thumb than the first one. I also made one a few rows longer than the other but since they are under the sleeves of my jackets, not a big deal. I would like to make some more to give away and this is the perfect pattern to use for that.


5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I can tell your going to enjoy wearing both of these projects. Nice work!

Susan Luni said...

It's good to read your comments on Comfort sock yarn. I've been tempted to try it, now more so. I know what you mean about the mitts. I have a pair that I made several years ago when I first started knitting. One has a huge mistake in it so they are mismatched, but I wear them anyway. I sometimes think I should knit a replacement pair, but I like these too well to bother.

vlb5757 said...

Luni-I really love wool socks but they Comfort socks were okay. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are considering there is not one drop of wool in them. I might consider buying that kind of yarn for myself on my own.

The gloves are super warm but I want the next pair to be from wool sock yarn. So basically they would have a cuff and be a sock pattern with a thumb hole and no toe. I like how sock feel on my hands when I put my hand in them. So I am going to give them a try that way and see what happens.

Sharon said...

It frustrates me no end that your blog doesn't show up in my blogger watch list. I still have to use Bloglines for your posts - argh. I love the color of the socks and I agree - they need to be snug.

Thanks for your thoughtful note on my blog. You haven't provided an "email me" option on your blog so this is the only way I can contact you.

vlb5757 said...

Sharon, I sent you an email just now. I hope what I changed will make it easier for you to contact me. Thanks for hanging in there. As for the blogger watch list, I really have no idea how to do that. Just give me a buzz and I will try and change that.