Monday, April 28, 2008

Spreading My Wings
I am the kind of person who does not like change. My whole life I have had changed forced on me. First by my father who was in the Air Force so you know what's next. We moved every 2-4 years until I was 15 and he retired. I thought we would stay put, but nooooo he took a job in Arkansas and we moved from Texas. Then he lost the job in Arkansas and we moved back to Texas. I ended up going to three elementary, two middle and four high schools. So you can see why I am not huge on change. Thus explains the ruts that I find myself in. This includes my knitting.

Sue's sock pattern has become my sock rut. Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed those socks to no end, but it's time to spread my wings. I have now, twice. I take baby steps. The red and purple socks were the first step. They are done and I like them. I will make a few stitch count changes, but other than that I like them. I am going to make another combination pair sometime this year. I think my next pair will be a solid color with a contrasting color for the toes and heels just like this pair. I think this is a great way to use up small bits of left of sock yarns. This is knit with Opal yarn on #1 dpns. The basic pattern for the cuff, heels and toes are Sue's pattern but the rest is just straight stockinette. I wanted to see if the color pattern would emerge if I didn't do any fancy stitch patterns. They turned pretty well.

So now I am feeling a bit more confident and have stepped off the cliff with my very first pattern that is from a book. A few of us at The Knitting Corner decided to knit a sock together every Thursday when we usually meet to trade stories and catch up on family news. I picked the pattern and I am not sure what I was thinking but I have to stick to it.

My yarn was bought at the Tess's booth at Maryland Sheep and Wool in 2007. I can't tell you anything about the yarn except it's a soft baby yellow and its very soft sock yarn. I loved it so much, I bought two skeins of it. I had no earthly idea what I was going to do with it until I thumbed through Sensational Knitted Socks and saw the Ribbed Lace pattern on page 50. I am very excited about how they are going along but it's like any other lace. I have to pay attention. Those darned YOs will get you into trouble every time! I have a glaring error at Rnd 24. I saw (K1, P4) 4 times. When in reality it said (K1, P1) 4 times. You will see the purls in another picture. I didn't discover this until I got to row 10 of the next set of 24. Considering I am using #1 dpns, I have chosen to let it go. I really do not desire to rip those puppies out and start all over. So the error stands. Now I have to decide whether or not to mess up, I mean create the design change again on the next row 24. Or maybe this one row will have the "design element" change and the other one will not. It will be like I know which sock is the right sock and the other will be the left (wrong) sock. Whatcha think??
Here is the larger picture of the row 24 error. I am just heart sick but it's a done deal.







8 comments:

Susan Luni said...

The lace socks are very pretty. I wouldn't have seen the error if you hadn't pointed it out.
Have lots of fun at MDSW. I thought I was going this year, but my trip has been postponed--boo-hoo!

vlb5757 said...

Well I am really disappointed that you are not coming this direction! I have been knitting this am on the sock and have decided to do the same "design element"(mistake) again at row 24. I want my socks to match. I will just have to learn to pay more close attention.

You have inspired me. I have been looking at sweaters lately. I know mine won't go as quickly as yours, but I have been giving them a thought...just a thought so far. lol!

Tracy Batchelder said...

The mistake is high up on the sock and will probably never be seen when worn.

vlb5757 said...

I know but I will know it's there. My friends have pressured me to rip it out and now the deed has been done. I was in my second set of the set of 24. Pooh.

Michelle said...

Nice sox!! Someday I'll have to learn how to do this, it seems like such a good hobby to have! I'm just saying hello...when are you coming to visit??!

vlb5757 said...

Thanks dearie. You don't need to learn to knit in Hawaii, scuba yes, knitting no! I wish I could hop on a plane right now and head out there. Can I send you a care package of food? I can make random food payments in exchange for lodging and beach time! lol!

Tina T-P said...

Oh, have a good time at the wool festival - We pick up our wool tomorrow (7 fleeces worth!) that we took to Gretchen's wool mill last month - I am excited to see what it looks like. I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick up tomorrow! T.

vlb5757 said...

Tina-I dropped off my fleece at the show. I only did one fleece because I have never used this mill before. I have four other fleeces that need to be picked and washed. I was trying to decide whether or not to wash my fleeces here or let them do it there. Did you wash your fleeces or clean them before you gave them to the mill?