Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tidewater Knitter's Guild
I have been trying for almost a year to get to my very first meeting of the Tidewater Knitter's Guild. They meet the first Monday of the month and I had a schedule conflict. So I have finally solved the conflict and went to my very first meeting on the 2nd. It was pretty crowded. I was surprised at how many ladies there were. I think the average age is in the 60s somewhere. Now, I don't look at that as a bunch of old ladies. How I see it is, there's a WEATLTH of information in that room about yarn, techniques, and years upon years of experince of fixing mistakes. Believe me, I need those ladies!

They have a program every month and I was very surprised to see that the program this month was going to be featuring someone that I have gotten to know at the Knitting Corner. It's Ruth. Ruth is a fixture at the shop and I think she has knows the family who owns the shop for many, many years. Ruth would have heart failure knowing that I have talked about her here. She is a modest person and shuns public attention, but lucky for us she agreed to show everyone "What's in Ruth's Closet". Here are some pictures of the items that Ruth brought to show. Believe you me, these pictures do not even get close to doing her work justice. She had some really super stuff. See below...

Ruth made this afghan. It's reversable and has beautiful things on both sides. She said she designed this whole thing herself.

This is sweater that Ruth made that is vertically stripped. I thought that was pretty tricky myself.

This sweater looked much better in person. It's shades of Blue. I should have had Ruth model it. There are to more pictures but I can't seem to get them to load. So I will post them another day. One of them is a very beautiful lace shawl. Ruth has done a great job!

4 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The afghan is amazing! Is it woven or knitted?

vlb5757 said...

It's knitted. Ruth doesn't weave. Isn't that amazing?

Anonymous said...

Holy moley! Ruth's work is AMAZING!! The afghan!?! The striped sweater!! The texture of her blue sweater!! Ohmygoodness. She is one amazing knitter! Your guild sounds like its made up of some amazing ladies!

vlb5757 said...

Amanda-I have to say that when I first went to the meeting I was a little shocked at how many little old ladies there were. But then I thought about the wealth of information that was there and changed how I felt. I am hoping to absorb some of that knowledge!