Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hands that Give Comfort
On Saturday, for 5 hours and again on Sunday for another 5 hours, I will be knitting so that it gives comfort to others. I have always thought that a social conscience is a good thing, but I have never really excercised mine, but Saturday I did.

The month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are commericals on TV, radio, in print and at my local yarn shop, The Knitting Corner. So going there once a week as I do, I decided to let my hands give someone else comfort. We are knitting shawls to give to women who are undergoing Chemo treatment for breast cancer.


I was totally amazed how many women showed up to give a few hours of their time to the whole five hours. I stayed the whole five hours and will go back again today on Sunday to knit some more. Below are some picture of the selfless women who are doing the knitting.

The woman on the right in the white top, is a cancer survivor. I don't think she will mine me saying that.

Here is a close up of the colors for the shawl. It's easy to knit and uses size 11 needles. The shop provided the supplies...
but we supplied the hands that will give comfort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful way to spend a weekend. Looks like your comfort shawl will give someone oodles of comfort. Your so sweet! : )

vlb5757 said...

It was a lot of fun to spend two days with women who were more concerned with the comfort of others. I am on the last skein of yarn and hopefully they will want my shawl back! I have few errors but mabye a non-knitter won't notice.