Monday, October 23, 2006

Blocking
I really don't have much experience with blocking, but like everything else concerning knitting, it's a work in progress. I knew from reading other's blogs that you really needed to block lace. To what degree of care, I wasn't really sure. So since I have been knitting the Wallis Knits Lace Scarf, I have been learning about blocking without pins or blocking wires. The stripped towel is just a cotton kitchen towel.
Then I took the iron and set it for steam. I also had a larger white wet towel. I laid the white towel on top of the scarf and then used the iron. It flattened it out a lot and help to smooth out the rough edges.

Below are the results laying on top of the green stripped towel. The scarf dried for a few hours and then was folded neatly to save for a Christmas gift. I will knit at least 10 of these between this year and next to give as gifts.

I found another lace scarf I want to try and knit after I finish this one..I will need some help on the new scarf because it calls for starting off with some crocheting in the beginning. I am not sure how that is supposed to work but I will learn and will post it here another time. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but I have gone gaga over knitting lace scarves. It usually takes one 50g ball and makes a quick knit for a price that is great. The lower the price, the more I can give as gifts. Now back to the pink scarf...

6 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The scarf is really beautiful! I admire your goal of 10 scarves. You will be a pro at lace by the time you finish all those!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great scarf! :-)

Anonymous said...

wow, your finished scarf is so pretty!! Lace is very addicting ; )

vlb5757 said...

I am so addicted to the lace stuff. I have a new pattern for another lace scarf but this one has a more complicated pattern. Hopefully next week I can get on it.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I love lace knitting, too. However, I am learning my limits with it a bit. A really complicated lace pattern can take the 'fun' out of it pretty quick.
On the crochet cast-on, if you know how to crochet a chain, just do that, then try picking up stitches and knitting them in different ways until you can unzip the chain without tangles.
That's how I had to do it, because all the instructions I found are a little too vague for me.

vlb5757 said...

Thanks for the advise Susan. I was worried about getting the crocheting part down so I went to the shop where I bought the new pattern and they talked to me about it. They are so good to me and said I could bring it in anytime to have them check on it. I just love good customer service!

Hey, I love your little dancing star on the site! Really cute.