Friday, July 14, 2006

An Educational Meeting
I attended my spinning guild meeting this past Tuesday night. We had a field trip to the "country" and got to visit a member's farm. Debbie has some unusual pets...
Alpaca.

Debbie has about 8 on her farm. She raises them for their fleece. I have felt Angora and Cashmere, and Alpaca is right up there for softness. Their fleeces did need to be picked clean as much as a sheep's fleece.

Alpaca, come in many different colors from white to fawn to brown to black.
As you can see from the photo below, Debbie is holding her newest baby. The baby didn't seem to mind being picked up. I am not sure how much she weighs, but Debbie struggled for a moment and then she had the baby under control.

After we feed the animals and Debbie answered some questions, we went into the house to see pictures of her Blue Ribbon winner and feel the latest freshly washed fleece. It was one of the softest fleeces I have ever felt.

I really enjoyed the field trip and will be spinning some of Debbie's Alpaca as soon as she gets her fleeces back from the processor. If you ever have a chance to visit someone's farm who raise these gentle creatures, you really should go. It's a site to see!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh I always love seeing someone's photos from visiting Alpaca. One of these days I'm going to start collecting rovings and fibers and fleeces and will be spinning this stuff myself. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your spinning! :)

Anonymous said...

aww they are so cute! : )

vlb5757 said...

I have to admit that I have been totally caught up in knitting lately and can't tell you the last time I had the wheel out. I have four unwashed fleeces waiting for me to do something with so I am thinking about sending them off to a processor and being done with them. I just don't seem to have the time I used to have before this second part-time job.

The thing that I loved most about them is a really disgusting fact about them that Debbie shared. Okay, brace yourself. They potty in the same spot in the pen. After awhile they put lime on it and the Alpacas find a new spot. I have never heard such a thing before. I found it weird, gross, but very interesting.