Monday, June 26, 2006

The Blessed Event
I have not been able to do much knitting over this past week with the stitches in my finger but that did not stop me from planning my next unfinished project. Let’s see… this one will join the Mock Cable Sweater and the Magic Loop Stars and Stripes Socks.

I swore that I would never be the kind of knitter that I have been reading about over and over on blogs. Now this is where I eat some crow. I thought it was horrible that it seems that no one starts and finished the same project. I read how something is 90% finished and then there is a new project. Then there is another that is 25% finished and then again, a new project. After working on the sweater, I have become bored with it. Yes, I said it, BORED. I need a new knitting rush; so entered the Stars and Stripes socks. I hit the wall with the socks when we went out of town during the time of the second class. I need to knit. It’s just that simple.

So off I went with stitches in my finger looking for the next project. I already scoped out a book and had it squirreled away. I took the book out and decided that since my brother and his wife were about to adopt a baby, I would make the baby a jacket. No one knew what sex the baby was so I took a leap of faith it was a girl. I bought some yellow baby yarn to start the jacket. After ripping it out four times I was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake. Here is another about to unfinished project…

I had talked to my mom and she reminded me that my sister-in-law was doing everything in green. Cripe! I forgot that when I bought the yellow. So this past Saturday I went back to The Knitting Corner and bought green yarn to re-start the jacket. Then…the phone call. It’s my mother calling to tell me that the blessed event was underway and she would call me when the baby was born. I was working and screaming between stitches on the GREEN Lacy Knitted Jacket.

No sooner than I had gotten past the bottom of the jacket when my mother called…it’s a BOY. I wanted to smack myself upside the head! So, little Zachary will not have a lovely green lacy knitted jacket, but a lovely Blue Cardigan this winter.

I have decided that I have to finish this jacket and then save it in hopes that my daughter-in-law has a girl someday who will look lovely in yellow or green. I am determined to finish this jacket…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! a boy! : ) can't wait to see pictures of the lacy green sweater.
Hope your finger is getting better!

vlb5757 said...

At the rate I am going I may not finish the sweater before 2010. I am having a problem with keeping 125 stitches consistently on the needles. I ripped out 5 rows last night and still can't figure out what I did wrong. I WILL finish the sweater, but who knows when! LOL!

Tracy Batchelder said...

It sounds like this baby jacket is giving you too much grief. Time to move on. And, I think your interest in the Mock Cable Sweater will be renewed when the weather turns cooler in the fall. You can't really wear it until then anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Learn to knit. Start a sweater. Then a sock. Now lace. If someone suggested you take up mountain climbing, would you start in Tibet? :)
Keep going on the sweater, at least it's small. Put a stitch marker after every repeat--it helps keep your stitch number consistent.

Anonymous said...

oops. I meant "keep going on the baby jacket"

vlb5757 said...

The baby jacket is making progress. After counting, recounting, screaming, two loads of laundry and a day at work, I have seen light at the end of the tunnel. I got 8 rows done but had to stop and count every row. It's slow but maybe in the end I won't have to rip out anymore. I tried the markers but for some reason the count between repeating patterns keep shifting, so I gave up on that one.

Tibet. You mean you can climb something there. If that's their weight loss plan, sign me up!